Friday, February 19, 2010

Questions from Tim, Part 2

Several weeks ago I posted answers to questions posed by triathlon writer and photographer extraordinaire Tim Carlson. Here are some more off the wall questions.

What annoys you? 
I feel very strongly that people should wear a helmet when riding their bike. I simply cannot understand riding without one. The protection that a helmet provides is unequivocal, so when I see anyone speeding down the road without one, particularly my friends, I become irritated and frustrated. Usually, this is because I have scolded them many times before about this dangerous habit. I realize that I sound like a broken record and a nag, and wearing a helmet is a personal choice, but it is only because I care.


Just the other afternoon I was pleasantly running along the beach in Santa Monica, minding my own business. The path dipped underneath the pier; it was scary and dark. All of the sudden, I was taken out by two girls on a tandem, which had slid out of control when they went over some mud. After we all determined that nobody was harmed, I looked at them and said, “You two should really wear a helmet.” They were not amused.

Blondes have more…
That’s an easy one! Blondes have more roots. Or, at the very least, they are more visible.

Who is your toughest critic? 
Without a doubt, my toughest critic is me. I have been admonished by coaches numerous times over the years not to be so hard on myself (which is excellent advice and I use it on my athletes all the time), but, for whatever reason, I cannot ease up. I fret over missed workouts or sessions gone awry due to tiredness or illness. Bad races receive a thorough debriefing. I replay scenarios over and over in my head. Yes, I have been known to berate myself. But, I also know when to ease up, that sometimes a situation is out of my control, and I know how to reward myself for things done right.

There’s no crying in…
My favorite movie line ever is when Tom Hanks, in A League of Their Own, yells “ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!” There may not be crying in baseball, but crying exists in every other aspect of life. Well, I suggest that it should. Nothing is more therapeutic than a good cry. Crying is universal, knows no language, and expresses joy, sorrow and relief (or, maybe just a bad batch of onions).  We cry as babies. We cry as adults. I am surprised that Kleenex has not launched a campaign to de-stigmatize crying.  Next time you’re upset, just cry. You will feel better so much faster.

1 comment: