Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Guest blog: Sue Linroth

Note from JZ: Sue Linroth is a mother of two living in Longmont, CO. In 2007 she learned to swim and started back to running after a decade long break. Already an avid cyclist, triathlon was a natural next step in her athletic progression. In 2008, Sue competed in her first triathlon and never looked back!

Faster at Fifty

I turned 49 today.  By triathlon standards, that means that in 4 months I will also be turning 50!   I don’t have any issues with turning fifty, other than I didn’t have a chance to be fast at forty. 

You see, I entered my first triathlon at 46.  Over the last couple of years I’ve done the requisite work:  weekly track sessions, consistent intervals on the bike and I’m a regular at Masters’ swim.   Admittedly, with solid, consistent training I have reached some significant milestones.  This year alone I’ve more than tripled my yardage in the pool, PRd in my Sprint Tri 5k time and just recently set a new record for time in the saddle.  I’ve achieved results that I never imagined.  I’m definitely faster than I used to be but I’ve often wondered “How long will it take for me to get… fast?”

I recently found myself in a conversation about this topic with my husband.  He asked me how I define fast. I didn’t have a ready answer.  He followed with another question:  “If you can’t define fast, then how can you expect to measure it, and how will you know when you get there?” 

After some significant introspection (not to mention a great degree of discomfort at not being able to answer this question), I came to the realization that for me, fast is not a number.  It is a state of being in a given moment, workout or race.  A place where you test your limits, push the comfort zone and come out the other side with something that is faster in a way that it hasn’t been previously.  According to my own definition I have in fact been fast in my forties!

I intend to carry this new perspective with me as I head toward the next season and into my new age grouping.   I plan to keep my sights firmly on my goals, push some limits and come out the other side.  I am also looking forward to setting some new PRs ---- (I may have been fast at forty, but I plan to be faster at fifty!)

Good luck Sue. I hope you achieve all your goals. All the best to you in your fifties!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea that "fast" is a state of mind. What a wonderful perspective! I love how at age 37 everyone keeps telling me that I should be getting slower. Based on how I feel, Im the fastest I've ever been. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this way of thinking! Sue is a smart (fast) cookie!

    ReplyDelete