Thursday, December 3, 2009

Introduction

This is my first attempt at blogging. I have never been inspired to track the mundane happenings in my life. Until now. It is not that suddenly my life has become more exciting, because that certainly is not the case. I feel that now I have a message to convey. The year 2009 was not a kind one and ended with a very impressive bike crash at the Ironman 70.3 World Championship which resulted in my having shoulder surgery.
And, my 40th birthday is rapidly approaching, as I am constantly reminded or should I say taunted, by my friends. I thought now would be a good time to chronicle my comeback from injury at an age that someone pointed out made me no spring chicken (you can also get daily updates on Twitter: @joannazeiger). Age is a number that can be overcome with hard work and a little faith. Of course, I am not naïve enough to believe that I can persist as a world class triathlete forever, but I do know that my time has not yet come to check in to the triathlon nursing home. These musings will start with injury rehabilitation but will also follow my family life, training, racing, work commitments and coaching. Most importantly, I want people to realize that even with busy schedules and life commitments, there is still time left to pursue dreams – losing weight, running a 5k, your first triathlon – so just get out there!

Also, stay tuned for my forthcoming website called fastatforty which will be geared toward women in their 40’s looking to become active or to hone their athletic skills. As part of this undertaking, we will be involved in programs to get girls interested in sports and teach them about an active lifestyle.

Race hard, have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment